Preston Medical Library
Electronic Resource Use Guidelines
Unlike books, most electronic resources (Access Medicine, UpToDate, Cochrane, e-journals, etc.) are licensed rather than owned by Preston Medical Library. The producers of electronic resources put restrictions on their use. In general, those restrictions include:
Who can use the resource:
- Authorized users include staff, faculty and students of the UT Graduate School of Medicine (UTGSM), UT Medical Center (UTMC) staff.
- Other visitors to the library may use the resources while present in the library.
Where the resource may be used:
- Most resources can be readily accessed within any building on the UT Medical Center campus.
- Off-campus access to most electronic resources is available to authorized users by logging into the library's proxy server.
- UTMC personnel will need to use your hospital-issued username and password when prompted for a log in.
- Registration is required for all other off-campus access users.
How the resource may be used:
- Use is limited to educational, scholarly, and research purposes.
- Prohibited activities include commercial use, excessive or systematic downloading or copying (for example, copying/downloading/printing every article from an issue of a journal), electronic redistribution of content to an e-mail list, forwarding copies to unauthorized users.
- In accordance with the "fair use" provisions of the Copyright Statute, authorized users may make single copies of articles, print or electronic.
- Depending on the resource, additional restrictions may apply.
Misuse of a resource or violation of a license agreement may result in the termination of access to the electronic resource for the all of the Preston Medical Library's authorized users.
If you have questions about license agreements for specific resources, please contact Michael Lindsay.
Depending on the resource, additional restrictions may apply.
1924 Alcoa Hwy
Knoxville, TN 37920
24/7 Study Space Access
With validated UTGSM/UTMC badge
In conjunction with the Human-Animal Bond in Tennessee (H.A.B.I.T.), the library hosts canine assisted stress-reduction visits twice weekly on Mondays and Wednesday from noon-1:00 p.m.